I just learned that I am going to be a bachelorette for ten days…ten whole days. I have decided that since I have no one else’s culinary preferences to consider, I am making this for 9 of those ten days. Did I say ten days yet?
Creamy White Beans with Leeks
Inspired by Jamie Oliver
- 4 mid-size leeks, washed thoroughly and chopped into fine slices
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp-ish of fresh thyme
- glug of olive oil (times 2)
- 1 tsp-ish butter
- 1/2 c. white wine
- 2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed (I used canellini with delicious results)
- 2 Tbsp-ish of creme-fraiche (perhaps sour cream would work here…let me know if you try it and what the results are).
1) Find yourself a flat bottomed saute pan with a tight fitting lid that will hold all of your ingredients and turn on the heat to medium. Add the butter and the olive oil.
2) When the butter begins to foam a bit, add the leeks, garlic and thyme. Cover them with a lid and allow them to sweat for about 15-20 minutes; until they are very fork tender. You may have to turn down the heat a bit.
3) Turn up the heat to medium and add the wine. Allow the alcohol to boil off (you will see a big puff of steam that really smells like wine). Add the beans and enough water so they are just covered.
4) Allow the beans to simmer away for about 10 minutes, until they are very creamy and rich. Turn down the heat and add the creme fraiche, a glug of olive oil and some fresh ground pepper.
5) Eat a large bowl in front of the TV watching whatever you want because you are on your own for ten days (missing your family horribly, of course).