At Chez Wittmann, we like folks. We also like cocktails. We really like folks who like cocktails. Here is a little something to serve to your folks who like cocktails.
Rosemary-Chipotle Roasted Nuts
courtesy of Ina Gartner
QUICK NOTE TO START: All nuts in this recipe are unsalted and roasted to begin. Also, feel free to mix up the ratios however you would like – if cashews are your favourite but you are not a real almond fan, govern yourself accordingly.
- 3 cups walnuts
- 2 cups pecans
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/4 neutral oil, canola is a good choice + some for baking sheets
- 1/3 c. brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp salt (divided)
- 2 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 Tbsp chopped rosemary
1) Heat your oven to 350 and make sure that you have two racks as evenly spaced apart as your oven will allow.
2) Rub 2 large baking sheets with a thin layer of oil.
3) Find a very large bowl and add the chipotle powder and the brown sugar and mix well with a whisk.
4) Continuing along with your whisk, add the maple syrup, orange juice and oil. Give it a really good go until all the ingredients are incorporated.
5) Now add your nuts to the bowl and hope they all fit. Give everything a really good stir and try to coat all of the nuts with the sauce. When done, toss in 2 Tbsp of rosemary and 2 tsp of salt. Give it all another good stir.
6) Spread your nuts out into an even layer on the prepared baking sheets.
7) Wash out your giant bowl.
8) Pop them into the oven for about half an hour. I take mine out every 10 minutes to give them a stir and to switch around the baking sheets (bottom sheets to top, spin them around so the what was the back of the sheet is now at the front of the oven).
9) When the nuts are a lovely deep brown colour, somehow manage to get them back into the giant bowl you originally mixed them in. Give them a good stir and add the remaining 2 Tbsp of rosemary and the 2 tsp of salt. Let them sit for about another half an hour to cool, stirring occasionally so you don’t end up with one giant nut cluster.